The industrial development of the Blackrock clan has left the once-glistening oasis of Gorgrond a desolate, rocky badland, its only remaining natural produce the steam that boils up from massive vents beneath the earth. Gorgrond has become the source of the Iron Horde’s arsenal—its foundries churn out weapons, armor, and torrents of smoke great enough to be seen from neighboring lands.
After your initial confrontation with the Iron Horde (in Shadowmoon Valley for the Alliance or Frostfire Ridge for the Horde), this brutal, beautiful land divided by ancient hostilities is your next destination.
What brings you to Gorgrond?
- After withstanding the Iron Horde’s initial assault, you’ll make your way into Gorgrond with a handful of allies to try to discover the Blackrock orcs’ intentions and find a way to thwart any plans the Iron Horde may have.
- Gorgrond is a land of giants embroiled in an epic struggle between creation and destruction. It’s the kind of place you avoid unless you have a death wish.
- Is home to the Blackrock clan, led by Blackhand. There are 3 dungeons also located here-The Everbloom, Grimrail Depot and the Iron Docks.
- Blackrock Foundry-a level 100 raid to feature a young Gruul and Blackhand himself as a boss.
If you’re an Alliance player, you’ll enter the zone from the eastern coast, where you’ll get your first taste of things to come. You’ll immediately encounter an elite group of draenei known as the Rangari holed up in a hidden encampment, fighting for their lives against vicious plant-like creatures. When the dust settles, your group will join the Rangari survivors and make a retreat to a clearing deeper in the zone.
Horde players will enter the zone from the west, where you’ll encounter the Laughing Skull clan. These maniacal orcs are volatile and bloodthirsty, capable of extreme brutality—and as you experience Gorgrond for yourself, you’ll begin to understand why. The Laughing Skull orcs are struggling to maintain their ancestral territory, but the brutality of being constantly assaulted by the warring factions of the zone has forged them into bloodthirsty savages.
There are two world bosses here.
- Tarlna the Ageless – It is said that before Tarlna arrived in Gorgrond, the entire region was a barren wasteland. It is said that verdant life springs up in the wake of each footstep of the ancient genesaur. It is said that the creature is immortal, renewed like a forest in the aftermath of a great blaze. Much is said of Tarlna, but little is truly known or understood.
- Drov the Ruiner – Drov was called Ruiner by the Blackrock clans of old, who quickly learned to give the fearsome magnaron a wide berth. Drov carves a swath of devastation where he walks, as though the earth itself senses his arrival and parts to make way.
Find and kill Rares
- Stomper Kreego fittingly drops Ogre Brewing Kit, which makes alcohol like Skyreach Sunrise and Peglegger's Porter. This ogre is later found in Stomper Kreeg selling booze.
- Sulfurious drops the Bubble Wand toy, which shoots bubbles.
- Bashiok, a tribute to Community Manager Bashiok whose forum avatar is a tree, drops the toy Spirit of Bashiok. This toy summons a dancing treant that is on fire.
- Mandrakor drops Doom Bloom, which summons the battle pet Doom Bloom. This elemental pet is cageable.
- Fossilwood the Petrified drops the toy Petrification Stone, which turns a critter to grey stone for 5 minutes.
- Sunclaw drops Sunclaw which a unique green recolor of Gara'kal, Fist of the Spiritbinder from Mogu’shan Vaults.
- Basten drops the toy Botani Camouflage which is a Botani disguise.
- Hunter Bal'ra drops Bal'ra's Compound Bow which is a unique recolor of the PvP weapon Primal Combatant's Longbow.
- Poundfist drops Sunhide Gronnling mount that has 100% chance drop.
Map over Gorgrond